Sunday, July 24, 2011

Finding Treasures!

I'm sure everyone would agree that the idea of going through a storage unit seems like a nightmare... and it kind of was! However, it was a lot more enjoyable with the company of my husband, Audrey, and Courtney :) After my mom passed away, I very quickly dumped my entire childhood into 2 storage units in San Marcos Texas. I definately never imagined that it would take me 2 1/2 years to empty them. About a year later, I went through and consolidated the two units into one when I moved into my apartment in Austin for grad school, I just figured I would probably have the other for the rest of my life...just being honest!

Well now that we have a stable 3 bedroom home with a garage (yes, the military life IS stable compared to what my life was... hard to believe) , we decided it really made no sense to keep the storage unit. It may have also been the fact that after calculation, I've spent over $900 storing stuff since January 2009...That is the thought that made me cringe!

So...we did it! We rented a U-Haul and spent about 4 hours cleaning it out. Not only was it a totally FREEING feeling, but it was also amazing to find the incredible TREASURES that my mama had left! It literally felt like she was looking down saying "Oh, Allison, why didn't you do this sooner? I have ALL of this stuff for you!"

One of the first finds... Audrey has been looking for girly duffle bags for Callie and Courtney... and we found these that my mama made. We also found a bag that was actually marked for the Church family full of stuffed animals. It's amazing how she prepared so well for this exact day that I would go through all of this stuff. 


This was probably my FAVORITE find! My roomie Emily and I had been getting ready to host an event called "Celebrate Gracen." Our sweet friend Dayna is expecting their first child in October and they do not have a good prognosis for precious Gracen Faith so we were planning a day to celebrate her life and encourage Dayna by bringing her family and closest girl friends together. Em and I had wanted to make it a tea party theme but we did not a tea set, so we decided to go with iced teas...it's hot here anyway! Well, little did I know that my mama had my grandmother's flower tea set in our storage unit. It was perfect timing and as soon as I saw it, I knew it would bless Dayna in so many ways to use this! Thank you Lord for providing me with these sweet reminders of my family and childhood. 


This one cracks me up! Trevor and I would never have registered for dishes on our wedding registry if we had any idea how many sets of dishes my mama had! This is just one of the 2 beautiful sets of Pier 1 Imports dish sets that we found...even a Christmas set! I'm pretty sure T and I will have dishes to last us a lifetime...the great thing is that we are hoping the Huckabee's (our friends who recently moved to Africa) can use them in their temporary home as they come back to the states to have their first child in December! Again, this is exactly what my mama would want these treasures to be used for...To bless others!













Here's the finished project! Well...almost! We did end up throwing away a TON of trash and the rest went with us in the U-Haul to Harker Heights...trust me, you don't even wanna look in our garage! It's the only room in our house that is completely off limits ;) 


And this is just a random pic of where I normally blog from...Our little breakfast table with a view of our backyard! :) Happy Sunday everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment