Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pre-Deployment Update

Well Trevor will be leaving 10 days from today... I can't even believe it. Part of me is clinging to time and begging God to slow down our time and the other part of me is ready for him to leave. That sounds crazy, huh? Those of you who are military wives who have gone through a deployment probably understand that statement because there comes a point (at about 3 weeks for us) where it is almost more difficult to keep waiting. We both get more anxious as it gets closer, mostly about the unknown. Trevor wonders what it will be like and is dealing with the mix of being excited and anxious at the same time. He still tells people how his time in Iraq on 2008 was one of the best experiences of his life, but here was a huge difference, he was single. When he left for Iraq he put all of his belongings in storage and the only thing he had to think about back home was calling his parents at least once a week on Saturdays. As we prepare for this deployment, we have lists on our refrigerator of "honey do's" for Trevor to get done before he leaves, only they aren't "petty" chores around the house, they are things that he wants to ensure get done so that he can have peace of mind that I will be safe at home while he is gone... Just a few examples are creating updated POA documents and writing a will. I haven't ever had a will in my life! He also has to worry about things on the house such as making sure our alarm system is up to date, installing extra motion lights on the outside of our home so that I can see when I  come home at night, and even things like making sure we have a fire extinguisher around the house and a "plan" of what I would do if someone tried to break in. Above all of these things though, my husband has to do one of the hardest things any man will ever have to do in preparing to leave... he has to write what we call a "What if..." letter. How does a husband even begin in writing a letter to his bride in the event that he would be killed serving in Afghanistan? It's hard for me to even go down that road with my thoughts so I think my blog is going to end right here for today...I will write more about how I've been dealing with this pre-deployment season soon. I am def to the point where I have accepted that my husband is going to leave for 7 months, I just feel like there are several unknowns in how we will be able to communicate and how safe he will be at the base he will report to. Please pray for the next 10 days to be sweet and full of lifelong memories for Trevor and I are we prepare to send him off. 


Thankfully, we have been blessed with the most amazing friends. As I'm sitting here writing this blog post, Sophie jumped off the bed and ran to the door because someone was outside. As I got to the door, someone had left the most adorable pumpkin pot with flowers inside and a sweet card for us with a gift card to Red Lobster. This is actually the 3rd day in a row that Trevor and I have come home and had a sweet encouraging gift on our door step from anonymous people. It means the world to us that our friends would take the time to do leave such encouraging gifts with creative date nights in it for us so that we can make the next 10 days special! We love you all... whoever you are ;) 


My next blog post will include pics of these adorable gifts of encouragement!

2 comments:

  1. Hey beautiful! I love this blog, but I do have to admit I get a tight lump in my throat reading it knowing I will be in your shoes very soon facing a 12 month deployment. Jeff has been to Afghan once and paid 30$ to have the internet in his room at the fob, seems that we will be able to communicate and skype every evening. I hope it's the same for you. I'm so glad that you two are planning accordingly. I hope you have an easy 10 days and a quick deployment.
    Brandy Pearsall

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Love you sweet friend and enjoy your last few days together! I'm always a phone call away and a short drive away!

    ReplyDelete